Submissions to the journal-track of the ECSCW conference will undergo a fully integrated, continuous review process. The manuscript enters this process as soon as the submission is made. Journal Papers must reach the status of “Accepted but incomplete” by April 1, 2021 to be included in to the ECSCW 2021 Program. Papers accepted after that date will be included in ECSCW 2022 Program.
When submitting, please select “ECSCW Contribution” as the Article Type and follow the submission steps until the final manuscript upload.
- April 1, 2020 System open for Paper Submissions
- April 1, 2020 Start of paper review, revise & resubmit processes, on a rolling basis
- March 31, 2021 End of paper review, revise & resubmit processes, on a rolling basis
- April 1, 2021 Paper acceptance cut-off date for inclusion in ECSCW 2021 Program
- June 7-11, 2021 ECSCW 2021 Conference News
- April 1, 2020 – System open for Paper Submissions
- April 1, 2020 – Start of paper review, revise & resubmit processes, on a rolling basis
- March 31, 2021 – End of paper review, revise & resubmit processes, on a rolling basis
- April 1, 2021 – Paper acceptance cut-off date for inclusion in ECSCW 2021 Program
- June 7-11, 2021 – ECSCW 2021 Conference News
- April 1, 2020
System open for Paper Submissions
- April 1, 2020
Start of paper review, revise & resubmit processes, on a rolling basis
- March 31, 2021
End of paper review, revise & resubmit processes, on a rolling basis
- April 1, 2021
Paper acceptance cut-off date for inclusion in ECSCW 2021 Program
- June 7-11, 2021
ECSCW 2021 Conference News
Submission Format & Process
Paper submissions should be formatted following the CSCW Journal Instructions for Authors available at: https://www.springer.com/journal/10606/submission-guidelines. The length of the paper must correspond to the size of the contribution. We suggest the papers to be between 10000 and 15000 words (including tables and appendices, excluding references).
Manuscripts must be submitted via https://www.editorialmanager.com/cosu. When submitting, please select “ECSCW Contribution” as the Article Type and follow the submission steps until the final manuscript upload. For any queries, please, do not hesitate to contact the ECSCW 2021 Journal Papers Chairs at firstname.lastname@example.org .
Journal Papers Chairs
For any queries, please, do not hesitate to contact the ECSCW 2021 Journal Papers Chairs at email@example.com.
Journal Papers Description
We invite journal papers documenting original, rich, and in-depth contributions to CSCW. Authors are encouraged to submit papers that improve and extend the CSCW field. Relevant themes include, but are not limited to:
- • Empirical investigations of collaborative practices. Findings, guidelines, and/or studies related to communication, collaboration, and social technologies, practices, or use.
- • System design focusing on solutions to support cooperative work in increasingly complex, networked, and data-driven settings.
- • Hardware, architectures, infrastructures, interaction design, technical foundations, algorithms, and/or toolkits that enable the building of new social and collaborative systems and experiences.
- • Methodologies and tools for investigating human practices, e.g., the nature of ethnography and the role of other innovative research approaches in building systems or studying their use, the application of critical design or design fictions to investigate future possibilities.
- • Critical analysis or theory with clear relevance to study, design, or use of collaborative settings and systems.
- • Domain-specific social and collaborative applications, including applications to digital civics, grassroots movements, healthcare, transportation, ICT4D, sustainability, education, workplace, accessibility, global collaboration, or other domains.
- • Analysis of the ethics and policy implications of socio-technical systems, the values that inform them, and the algorithms that shape them.
- • The changing nature of collaboration and teaming in relation to intelligent machine agents, e.g., human-AI relationships in collaborative practices.
- • Studies, prototypes, or other investigations that explore interactions across disciplines, distances, languages, generations, and cultures, to help understand how to design in relation to social, temporal, and/or spatial boundaries.
- • Discussions and extrapolations of work-practices and technologies, which contribute to the core topics of ECSCW.
Paper Review, Revision & Resubmission Process
Submissions to the journal-track of the ECSCW conference will undergo a fully integrated, continuous review process. The submission and review process will allow authors to develop and refine stronger papers over a longer time period. The review process is single-blind. Each submission is assigned to one of the three ECSCW 2021 Journal Papers Chairs, who is in charge of finding three reviewers, writing a meta-review and making a decision. This decision is transmitted to the Lead Editor of the CSCW Journal in charge of ECSCW contributions, who will transmit the decision to the Editor in Chief of the Journal, and will manage conflicts of interest among the different Journal Papers Chairs if necessary. Authors of the submitted papers will be considered as reviewers for other submissions and may be contacted by the Journal Papers Chairs on this behalf.
Authors are encouraged to submit as soon as they have their manuscripts ready. The system is already open for submissions. Early submissions will allow for multiple Revise & Resubmit cycles and will generally result in earlier publication of the accepted manuscript in the Journal. Papers could take approximately three months between submission and results of the first review cycle, and approximately two months in the subsequent review cycles, but the Journal Papers Chairs are working hard to speed the process up. Papers usually go through at least two review rounds.
Upon an acceptance notice (status “Accept but incomplete”), the paper will go through production (including proof corrections) and only then will it be published on Springer Online First. To be considered for publication and presentation at ECSCW 2021, papers must reach the status “Accept but incomplete” by the 1st of April 2021. This status differs from a “Minor revisions” recommendation. The former refers to papers which require only minimal formatting amendments, while the latter refers to papers which still require some minor structural or conceptual changes. Early submission makes it more likely to receive reviews in a timely manner and speeds up the process of publication afterwards.
If the paper does not reach the “Accept but incomplete” status by the 1st of April 2021, it will automatically be transferred to the batch of submissions for the subsequent ECSCW conference, unless the submission is withdrawn. With this approach, the authors will not have to restart the submission process. All work completed to this point will be considered for the next edition of the conference. This also means that authors may get their papers accepted shortly after the ECSCW 2021 conference. If this happens, the paper will be published as an Online First manuscript as soon as it goes through the production process; the authors will be invited to present their work at ECSCW 2022.
Publication & Copyright Information
The accepted articles are published in Computer Supported Cooperative Work (CSCW): The Journal of Collaborative Computing and Work Practices – see https://www.springer.com/journal/10606/ for details. Authors will be asked, upon acceptance of the article, to transfer copyright of the article to the Publisher. This will ensure the widest possible dissemination of information under copyright laws. As soon as a manuscript has been accepted for publication, it will go to production, and when production has finished (including proof corrections), it will be published on Springer Online First, complete with DOI.
Additionally, authors will have the option to make their versions of accepted Papers available with open access in the European Society for Embedded Technologies (EUSSET) digital library (http://www.eusset.eu/digital-library), as an edited collection. The EUSSET digital library features all past ECSCW proceedings.